8 Backpacks Similar to Fjallraven
Fjallraven is a popular brand based out of Sweden that designs timeless backpacks that are popular amongst outdoor enthusiasts and city-dwellers alike. Their style is a mix of retro outdoor aesthetic with modern minimalism. For those of you looking for a similar look here are 8 backpack brands like Fjallraven that sport some of the same design, functionality and price.
- Doughnut Macaroon Backpack (Buy on Amazon)
- Kanu Rainier Rucksack (Buy on Amazon)
- Osprey Flapjack Backpack (Buy on Amazon)
- Timbuk2 Tuck Pack (Buy on Amazon)
- Gregory Mountain Products Offshore Day Pack (Buy on Amazon)
- Cotopaxi Volta Backpack (Buy on Amazon)
- Leaper Daypack Laptop Bag (Buy on Amazon)
- Anello Square Rucksack (Buy on Amazon)
Brands like Fjallraven
Here are some brands that offer great alternatives to popular Fjallraven backpacks. These backpacks are well made and keep everyday functionality in mind while being versatile enough for your next great outdoor adventure.
Doughnut Macaroon Backpacks
Doughnut is an up and coming brand out of Hong Kong that mixes vintage backpack designs with modern storage features. Their Macaroon backpacks are very similar to the Fjallraven Kanken with a full front zipper access to the main compartment and a sturdy top handle for one hand carry. In fact, this is our top pick for a Kanken alternative. The brand offers the Macaroon backpack in a ton of different color options that rivals the Kanken. Those looking for a stylish backpack from a unique brand will love what Doughnut has to offer.
- Dimensions: 15 x 11 x 4.3 inches
- Material: Durable Korea Heavy Twill Crinkle Finish
- 15 inch laptop compartment
- Ipad compartment
- Side pockets for water bottles.
Those who love the retro outdoors look of Fjallraven will love the brand KAVU. The brand offers many different backpack designs for that are perfect for camping, hiking or even just for use on a school campus. Their Rainier Rucksack has mixes vintage design elements with bright and fun patterns that are sure to turn some heads. The Rainier Rucksack includes a dedicated laptop sleeve, a roomy front pocket and a tote handle on top for easy one handed carry. At 26L, the Rainier Rucksack makes a great daily backpack for those who want a rucksack design without too much bulk.
- Dimensions: 19 x 14 x 6 inches
- Volume: 26.21L
- Materials: 600D polyester
- Laptop sleeve in main compartment
- Unisex design available in multiple colors and unique patterns.
Osprey Flapjack backpack
Osprey is a brand known for their high quality outdoor backpacks and bags. The Osprey Flapjack backpack makes a good Fjallraven alternative for anyone looking for a quality travel backpack that can hold a laptop, travel gear and other essentials. Key features makes the Osprey Flapjack a perfect travel or everyday carry backpack. The roomy main compartment can be accessed through a single buckle flap. On the outside you’ll find a full-length zippered side pocket and water bottle pockets. The logos and trim on the Flapjack are made of a reflective material that help with visibility in low-light environments. Osprey also makes a woman’s version of this backpack called the Osprey FlapJill available here on Amazon in a variety of different color options.
- Dimensions: 19H X 13W X 9D inches
- Volume: 21L
- Full-length side zipper pocket
- 15” laptop sleeve in main compartment
- Mesh and foam back panel for optimized airflow
- Removable hip belt
Timbuk2 Tuck Pack
Timbuk2 is often the brand of choice for commuters who need a rugged yet stylish backpack for daily wear. Their Tuck pack is a great take on the classic rolltop backpack style yet has the modern features you need in an everyday backpack. With city commuting in mind the Timbuk2 Tuck Pack features a vista loop for bike lights and two large side pockets that can hold anything from bike locks, water bottles to umbrellas. The rucksack design allows you to carry a generous amount in the main compartment while the adjustable padded shoulder straps allow for a comfortable unisex fit.
- Dimensions: 17.1 H x 15.4 W x 6.3 D
- Volume: 20L
- 15” padded laptop compartment
- Stealth stash side zip pocket for valuables
- Available in dozens of colors
Gregory Mountain Products Offshore Day Pack
Gregory Mountain Products specializes in outdoor bags for hiking, camping and backpacking. Their Offshore Day Pack is a part of their Heritage Outdoor series which includes vintage inspired design elements. The backpack itself is very minimalist in design with no outside pockets or unnecessary bells and whistles. The inside is roomy enough for a day’s worth of essential carry and the padded sleeve on the inside allows for easy carry of laptops up to 11 inches or a similar sized tablet. Someone who is a fan of the Fjallraven Kanken’s minimalist design will appreciate the look of the Gregory Offshore Day Pack.
- Dimensions: 10 x 9 x 5.5 inches
- Volume: 15L
- Lightweight: Only weighs 1LB
- Classic vintage square shape
- Front features two leather attachment panels on top and two pole attachment loops on the bottom.
Cotopaxi Volta Backpack
Cotopaxi is a backpack brand that deserves to be on your radar if you are looking for high quality multifunctional backpacks. The Volta is a spacious 35L rolltop backpack that is perfect for traveling, outdoor adventures or everyday commutes. The focus of this backpack is comfort and utility. Padded back panel and adjustable chest and waist straps allow for a comfortable fit regardless of the load while the inside includes a laptop sleeve and functional zipper compartments for organizing essentials. One of the things we love most about this backpack is the clean no-nonsense design. Although it’s packed with features you aren’t overwhelmed with straps, buckles or other bells and whistles. Instead you have a highly functional design that proves that less is more. This is the main reason we included Cotopaxi in our list of Fjallraven alternatives.
- Dimensions: 22.5 x 11.5 x 9 inches
- Materials: Water resistant 630D Nylon
- Volume: 35L
- 15 inch laptop sleeve
- 61 Year Warranty
Backpacks Like Kanken
For anyone looking for a cheaper alternative to the popular Kanken backpack these next picks might be up your alley. These backpacks are similar in style but are offered at a cheaper price point. This unique style is perfect as an multifunctional backpack that can be used for travel, school or work commutes.
Leaper has offered a cheaper Kanken alternative with their multifunctional Daypack Laptop backpack. The main compartment is very roomy and will fit everything from spare clothes to books and a laptop. Two side water bottle pockets gives it a functional feature for a day out on adventures while the hidden back pocket gives you the security you need to store valuables such as wallets or phones while out on the town. If you are looking for an inexpensive backpack that can be used for just about anything then you should give the Leaper Daypack a try.
- Dimensions: 11.4” L x 14.6” H x 7.5” W
- Dedicated sleeve holds a laptop up to 14 inches.
- Zip back pocket for valuables - hidden when worn.
- Lightweight: Weighs less than 1lb.
nello Square Rucksack
Anello is a brand based out of Japan that offers the perfect Fjallraven Kanken alternative. Just like the Kanken, these unisex backpacks are available in a ton of colors and sizes. The bags themselves are top-loading with zipper access to a very large and roomy main compartment. These backpacks are a great option for anyone who needs a multifunctional bag to use at school, the gym or overnight travel. Anello is an up and coming backpack brand that has gained recent popularity in Asia so if you are looking for an authentic and unique alternative to the Fjallraven Kanken then this may be your ticket!
- Dimensions: 10.2L x 13.8H x 5.6D inches (available in larger sizes)
- Made of durable cotton canvas
- Inside pockets for smaller items such as cellphones or wallets.
- Unisex design available in different sizes and colors